Due to the retirement of the incumbent, the Club now invites applications for the position of Secretary. The Club’s objective is to complement its unique topography with a well-presented golf course; appropriate level of House service; and distinctive ethos. The new secretary will be tasked with bringing this most traditional of clubs up to modern standards of golf club management, protecting and enhancing the Club’s enviable reputation in the golfing world.
The Secretary will be responsible for all aspects of running the Club and will have full administrative control of all departments. The role reports to the Club Captain.
- Staff management skills: setting objectives, managing performance, recruiting and training staff in a service setting, HR experience.
- Some knowledge of greens management and current best practice would be helpful, but is not essential.
- Experience in the provision of high quality House services (bar, catering, staff, front of house) in a members Club.
- Experience in finance, administrative, web and IT functions.
- Knowledge of the game of golf including rules, handicapping, and the running of competitions.
- Leadership in a service industry environment.
- A CMAE/GCMA qualification would be helpful, but is not a pre-condition.
- Strong people management skills: Building a team, finding congruency of purpose across departments, setting and maintaining levels of service.
- Leadership: The Secretary leads the Club both internally and externally, representing the Club to visitors and external bodies and conveying the needs of the membership to Club staff. The successful candidate will have a natural authority and strong inter-personal skills.
- Attention to detail: As a service organisation the role requires the Secretary to notice details, particularly around the Course and in the Clubhouse, such that levels of service can be maintained.
- Initiative: The Secretary is the principal of the Club and will be expected to manage day to day activities without recourse to the Captain or Committee. This requires decision-making skills and initiative.
- Conscientiousness: The Secretary and his team work flexible hours due to the fluctuating demands for service and access. The successful candidate will naturally adapt to such working conditions
Remuneration: The attractive remuneration package will be appropriate for a golf club of this prestige and profile. It will include salary, an element of performance related pay, pension contributions and private health insurance. Relocation assistance will be provided if required.
Application Process: To apply, candidates should send a letter highlighting their motivation for the role and relevant experience, an up-to-date CV, details of their current remuneration and ability to relocate if necessary. Please contact Ian Timberlake – email@example.com or +44 (0) 7764 682018
Application deadline: Friday 12th January 2018