Royal Worlington & Newmarket Golf Club, an internationally renowned, nine hole, private members’ club wishes to appoint a new Secretary following the retirement of the current Secretary. The successful applicant will have overall responsibility for the day to day running of the Club’s affairs and will need the necessary experience and qualifications that a Club of this standing demands.
The Secretary is accountable to the Council through the Captain.
The role of the Secretary:-
- To be responsible for the development and implementation of the rolling Five Year Plan.
- Management of staff, their work contracts, appraisals, employment law, health & safety matters as well as club insurance.
- Property management to ensure the Clubhouse and related buildings are maintained to a high standard as determined by the House Committee.
- Procurement and maintenance of all Green equipment/materials in cooperation with the Head Green-keeper and the Green Committee.
- To be responsible for day to day accounting and bookkeeping, and meet the annual budget forecasts as determined by the Treasurer and Finance Committee.
- Ensure the bar and food and beverage offering is consistent with the demands of the members and visitors, and for the agreed margins to be maintained.
- Manage all golf competitions and matches as well as members’ handicaps in accordance with the current CONGU guidelines and the World Handicap System.
- To attend all Club committee meetings, prepare agendas and record minutes.
- To be an ambassador for the Club and to establish excellent relationships with visitors to the Club and to promote the optimum green fee income consistent with the demands that the Club’s members place on the course.
The successful candidate will have an excellent understanding of golf in general and the ethos and culture of a traditional members’ golf club and will have demonstrable experience of all the above tasks.
The Club is prepared to be flexible regarding the exact role of the Secretary and the hours worked. The salary paid will reflect this and will be commensurate with the importance of this position to the Club.
In applying to the email address below, the candidate should include with their CV a letter demonstrating their suitability for the role. All applications will be dealt with in confidence.