1st April 2019£50
Founded in 1884, Aldeburgh Golf Club is England’s second oldest heathland course and amongst the oldest 18-hole courses in the world, still on its original golfing ground. Skelton Anderson recognized the potential of the open heath adjacent to Aldeburgh station and commissioned John Thomson and Willie Fernie to lay out the original course. It was the influence of his wife, Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, the country’s first female doctor and mayor, and of Millicent Fawcett, both of whom were members, which ensured that Aldeburgh was probably the first golf club in the world where women have always had equal membership and playing rights with the men. Perhaps in recognition, the English Ladies Amateur Championship has been played five times at Aldeburgh.