Ganton Golf Club
May 19 - May 20
Adjacent to the old North Eastern Railway and with a natural sandy subsoil, the Ganton Estate was perfectly situated for a Golf Course. Accordingly, one was laid out in 1891 by Tom Chisholm of St Andrews with the able assistance of Robert Bird, the Club’s first professional and head greenkeeper.
Ganton was soon established as a course where history was to be made. Harry Vardon came as professional from 1896 – 1903 and it was during this period that he won the first three of his six Open Championships and the 1900 US Championship Trophy. Subsequently, Ted Ray, another Open and US Open Champion, was appointed as professional from 1903 – 1912 and, in 1905, Vardon, Ray, James Braid and JH Taylor colluded to produce a major redesign of the course. Over the years, many other architects including Harry Colt, Alister MacKenzie, Tom Simpson and CK Cotton have added to the continuing programme of improvements.
The scene of several great challenge matches in the early years, Ganton was selected as the venue for the 1949 Ryder Cup and has also hosted the Amateur Championships, the Curtis Cup and the Walker Cup. With its deep and prolific bunkers, savage rough and impenetrable gorse, the course at Ganton has always provided a searching examination of the game’s best players.