The building of the course on Piltdown was originally instigated by a German aristocrat, Count Munster, who lived in nearby Maresfield Park. He leased the land and commissioned a tenant farmer, George Varnum, to carve a course out of the wild gorse and heather. In just a few months, Varnum had prepared a 10-hole course and, such was its success, that J H Taylor was commissioned to add a further 8 holes. In 1938 the Club bought the freehold of the whole common, including the delightful Piltdown Pond. The course is devoid of any sand bunkers, as the heather is considered to offer more than sufficient defence!