16th April 2020£55
The most striking feature of the course is the magnificence of its situation. It was laid out on the high moor over 800 feet above sea level by Dr Alister MacKenzie, and opened in 1924.
The good Doctor left a particular “signature” on all the courses he designed which was in the way he laid out greens. He liked greens to have slopes, humps surrounding three sides of the green and he liked two-tier greens. The course has changed little since its original conception and still has eleven ‘Mackenzie’ greens with a ‘step’ in them.