The role supports the Club Secretary with the day-to-day operations at the Club and deputises in their absence. This role is a genuine opportunity for the right candidate to develop their career and succeed the Club Secretary in the future as the current incumbent nears retirement in three years’ time. The Club has a stated aim to become the best Member’s Club in the area and is well on the way to achieving this with major improvements to both Course and Clubhouse over the last 4 years and a focus on “Member’s first”. The Club is financially sound with a full Membership and a long waiting list of aspiring Members. The role attracts a good salary and benefits including pension contributions and will reflect the successful applicant’s potential to develop into the Club Secretary’s position in the future. Our website is wsgc.co.uk
Applicants should send a CV with covering letter to:
James Newman – Club Secretary
West Surrey Golf Club
Or by email to email@example.com – The deadline for applications is Wednesday 11th August and interviews will be conducted during August for successful candidates.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
- To assist with implementing the Club’s Strategic Plan as directed by the Club Secretary.
- Answer telephone calls, acting as a filter for the Club Secretary and referring any queries asnecessary and receive calls from Visitors and permit them to play or not, depending uponthe events of the day and the conditions of the course.
- Receive and reply to emails coming into the Club.
- Maintain Club website in conjunction with the Club Secretary, with particular attention tothe online fixture list, Visitor and Society information and prices.
- Handle any enquiries and complaints received at your discretion or refer them to the ClubSecretary as appropriate.
- To advise the Club Secretary of any matters requiring attention.
- To ensure that, in conjunction with the Club Secretary and other members of staff, membersand visitors are aware of, and observe, the Club Rules regarding general conduct and dresscode.
- To attend meetings with Members, Visitors and outside organisations, as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with all Statutory and Local Government Regulations, including theHealth and Safety at Work Act.
- Suggest changes and improvements to the Club Secretary.
- Lead on individual special projects each year to deliver ongoing improvements for the Club.
- Lead the Club’s Social Media presence on Facebook and Instagram with regular updates andfeatures highlighting special occasions at the Club.
- Support, in their year of office, the Men’s and Ladies Captains, and keep the Vice Captainsfully informed.
- Liaise with all Heads of Department to compile and communicate in advance the weekly / monthly programme of events, competitions, matches and functions and distribute to Managers, Catering Franchise, Course Manager and Club Professional.
- Directly support and guide the Chair of the Match and Handicap Committee for each meeting and produce meeting minutes for publication to the Board.
- Organise and administer competitions and matches as required by the Club Secretary and attend weekend competitions when required.
- Organise trophy engraving, board signage and record keeping.
- Meet and greet Societies and other Visitors to the Club
- Compile and distribute the annual Club diary.
- Administer and publish all external open golfing events.
- Through the Club website and notice boards, ensure that all Club events are promoted to the Members in good time.
- Gain feedback from all users of the Golf Club, including non-member users, on the satisfaction of their visit and report findings to the Club Secretary.
- Make arrangements, bookings, manage and arrange invoices for all visiting Societies.
- Manage all reciprocals, courtesies and voucher requests.
- Report on all Society revenues, develop budgets for Society income and all Visitor and Member Guest Green fees
- Collate and check monthly green fee takings and reports.
The Assistant Club Secretary will be expected to:
- Directly assist the Club Secretary in ensuring the efficient management of the Club’s affairs and to act as his/her deputy when absent in a calm, controlled and friendly manner.
- To work on your own initiative with a can-do attitude.
Apart from liaison with the Club Secretary you will also be expected to liaise with the Administration team, the Club Catering Franchise, the Front of House Manager, the Course Manager, Head Professional, Halfway Hut and any persons appointed by the Board.
Authority & Discretion
As Assistant Club Secretary, you will deal with sensitive information and as the terms of this agreement you must treat all club matters with the utmost confidentiality whether at work or offsite.